The IRS website provides information on starting, operating or closing a business, what taxes each form of business is required to pay and how to pay them. It also provides information on how to apply for Form SS-4: Internal Revenue Service (IRS) 

Sales tax info: Sales Tax Info 

Census data on a variety of demographics: US Census Bureau QuickFacts 

This site talks about not only patents and trademarks, but also about copyrights: US Patent and Trademark Office 

For obtaining information about NAICS: The North American Industry Classification System (NAICS) 

A quick reference to assist historically, underutilized businesses: Historically Underutilized Businesses Reference 

Sales Tax Permit 512-854-5282 

Every sole proprietorship, partnership, corporation or other organization going into business should call the office of the State Comptroller to deter- mine if a Sales Tax Permit is required for the product you sell, rent, lease or for the service you render. There is no fee for this permit: Sales Tax permit 

Opening a Separate Bank Account 

Assemble all organization paperwork and EIN or Social Security Number. This will help keep business records from becoming mixed with personal records. It's highly recommended that an accounting system be implemented such as Quick Books, Quicken, Peachtree, or an Excel spreadsheet. 

Assistance in Locating a Certified Public Accountant 


There is no General Business License requirement in Texas. Check with City Hall for licensing or zoning requirements or contact the State Licensing Office: Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation 

Related to Austin zoning and licensing call Danny Brewer at Small Business Program: 512-974-7772 


For liability, assets, vehicles, business disruption information go to this site: Publication 334 (2019), Tax Guide for Small Business 

Franchise Opportunities 

A list of franchise businesses is available at the following site: Franchise Registry 

Consultants to give you free assistance in buying a franchise: FranNet  

Restaurant Ownership 

If you are interested in opening your own restaurant go to this website: 

Tool every entrepreneur needs 

Personal Property Tax 

All businesses and nonprofits must file a listing of their personal property as of January 1st of each year. The form is due on or before the 15th. The form may be acquired from your county appraisal department or at:  


Additional Resources