All businesses must have a legal identity. Many factors must be considered when choosing the best form of business ownership. The U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) website provides an overview of your options.
If you choose to register as a sole proprietor your business name must be on file with each county clerk’s office. Register at:
County Clerk websites surrounding Austin:
- Travis County Clerk Website / Phone: 512-854-9188
- Williamson County Clerk Website
- Hays County Clerk Website
- Burnet County Clerk Website
- Bell County Clerk Website
County Clerk websites surrounding San Antonio:
To register as a corporation, apply to the Secretary of State:
- Texas Secretary of State / Phone: 512-463-5555
For legal advice contact the Austin Layer Referral Service:
- Austin Lawyer Referral Service / Phone: 512-472-8303
Or American Bar Association Network:
The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) has a number of small business products and forms you may order online.
Also, to apply for an EIN (Employment Identification Number) go to Employment Identification Number
*Federal Unemployment tax is part of a federal and state program under the Federal Unemployment Tax Act (FUTA). You report and pay FUTA tax separately from your social security and Medicare taxes and withheld tax.